Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Review: The Dark Prophecy (The Trials of Apollo #2) by Rick Riordan



The Dark Prophecy (The Trials of Apollo #2)
by Rick Riordan
Publication Date: May 2nd 2017
Publisher: Disney-Hyperion
Source: Bought
Find This Book: The Dark Prophecy
Rating: 4/5




There’s nothing quite like the sun on my book and the sea salt breeze in my hair to finish up a good read! With this fourth review of Riordan’s book, he now pulls into the lead of most reviewed author here on Love at First Write. I am happy to say that I absolutely loved this book though I do have some qualms with it. Of course the typical Riordan wit and banter that we all know and love is in this book, and for that writing style alone I will probably always buy Riordan’s books.

I want to start by saying that Apollo is expressly and canonically bisexual which is pretty fantastic! One of his past male lovers makes an appearance in this book- with lots of juicy flashbacks. There are also some flirty scenes peppered throughout with both men and women. The combat and action left me with no complaints, and it was so amusing to watch Apollo and Calypso struggle without their divine powers. Apollo’s perspective on all of the things he used to task demigods with is also really interesting. I adore this new perspective of an old universe that Rick Riordan has now given us.

One thing I did not really like about the book was how easily Meg and Apollo got back together. The Dream Team was reunited and Apollo clearly cares about her, but she was so psychologically entrenched in Nero at the end of the last book and now she’s running away from Nero? With not much of an explanation? Seems like a cop-out. Additionally, I didn’t fear for any of the characters lives in any of the battles. Apollo and Meg have to be alive for the next book, Calypso and Leo just found each other and were not about to get killed off. Even their new friends Emmie, Jo, and, Georgina seemed protected by plot-armor. It seemed like his older works were so powerful because side characters became so developed and got killed off suddenly (but not for no reason), such as Charlie Beckendorf and Silena Beauregard. The quick reunion and plot-armor didn’t detract from the book in my opinion, but it did take some of the suspense away and that took away a star for me (though I suppose some fates are worse than death).

My favorite part about this whole book is the character development of Apollo. He meets characters that gave up their divinity and immortality for love and humanity and he seems to understand that desire. He’s becoming more caring and human each day. I’m not entirely sure if he’ll become a god again if he succeeds in his quests, though I can’t imagine the world without the god Apollo. I’m not sure who’s taken over his role driving the sun chariot while he’s exiled to earth… Apollo acknowledges that there are gods of other traditions, but doesn’t acknowledge where gods overlap (such as the various gods of the sun).

Last but not least: the reappearance of Grover Underwood. Apparently Riordan did not in fact forget about him, even though he basically made Grover drop off the face of the earth after The Last Olympian. I’m so excited to get even more Grover (and enchilada) action in The Burning Maze!!

No comments:

Post a Comment